Hayfever and allergies commonly occur in spring, but many people can suffer from symptoms all year round, or even experience a one-off allergic reaction.
What causes Hayfever and allergies?
Airborne allergens include pollens (from grasses, flowers or trees) and animal fur, pet dander or dust mites. When these allergens are inhaled they reach the moist tissues of the nose and produce chemicals (like histamine). These chemicals set off an inflammatory allergic reaction which may lead to symptoms such as:
- Congested nose
- Itchy nose/throat
- Itchy, watery eyes
- Irritated skin / rash
- Chronic idiopathic urticaria (hives)
How do antihistamines work?
As you might have guessed from the name, these drugs are anti (against) histamines. Antihistamines work by blocking histamine receptors in cell membranes—the part of the cell that is activated by histamine, leading to the allergic reaction.
What kinds of antihistamines are available?
There are a number of products on the market that can effectively ease your allergy symptoms and get you feeling your best again.
- Oral antihistamines – available as tablets and liquid-filled capsules. These products can relieve your worst symptoms quickly and last a full 24 hours.
- For children, easy-to-swallow liquid antihistamines that offer 12 hours of symptom relief.
- Nasal sprays provide targeted relief in minutes and are convenient when you need on-the-go treatment that lasts for hours.
- For itchy, watery eyes, antihistamine eye drops work quickly at the source of the discomfort, easing symptoms and helping you see clearly again.
How we can help
Greg’s Chemist stocks a range of hayfever and allergy relief products that may be of assistance to relieve your symptoms. For further information please visit your local Greg’s store and speak with one of our pharmacists.